Too much March Madness?

Bracketology, bubble teams, bubble buster, Cinderella’s, Sweet 16, Final Four, the big dance -- these are all terms that the greatest sports spectacle, March Madness, has brought us. For years, the NCAA and television have put on a great show for a solid month showcasing the top college players and teams. This year the tournament is being overhauled, expanding from 65 teams to 68 and forming a new Final Four tournament during the first week. Basically only an extra two days of games will be shown, but that is not the big change.

For years only one network has showcased all the games; the only exception was the play-in game. This year CBS, TNT, TBS and TruTV (never heard of it) will air all the college games in its entirety. I have to admit, this is a big commitment to ask. CBS has done an amazing job of creating what the NFL used to create the Red Zone channel. All you had to do was turn it on CBS then Greg Gumbel and Clark Kellogg would walk us through the day’s games and then selecting the most compelling to watch. When a close game had 10 minutes left, you knew they would change over so we could enjoy every upset and buzzer beater March Madness had to offer.

This year, however, I will have to revert back to my college football Tourette syndrome. You know what I am talking about. It's 2:30 Saturday afternoon, and you are racing between commercial breaks to catch all the networks' big games. March Madness offered me a chance to be lazy and enjoy all the games. I’m not saying that this is bad; it's just change, which for most of us we don’t like at first. And finally can someone tell me about the channel TruTV? Now all I have to do is start preparing my 200 brackets that I know I will lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment